I owe the credit on this one to my Auntie Peggy.
This quick and simple recipe allows you to freeze peaches without them browning to be used later as pie filling, a nice topping for ice cream, smoothies or even just a stand alone treat.
INGREDIENTS: (per 6 medium sized peaches – makes approx 1 quart of peaches)
1/4 teaspoon ascorbic acid
1/4 cup of water
2/3 cup of sugar
6 medium to large peaches
- Dissolve 1/4 teaspoon of ascorbic acid in 1/4 cup of water
- Peel and slice 6 peaches and place in a bowl
- Sprinkle ascorbic acid mixture over the peaches
- Add 2/3 cup of sugar and mix until the juice starts flowing
- Ensure enough juice is produced to cover the peaches
Add a small amount of orange juice if there is not enough juice to saturate the peaches
- Transfer peaches and liquid to zip lock freezer bags
- Squeeze air out of the bag
- Thaw to enjoy
If you find the recipe too sweet you can cut the sugar back to the desired sweetness, just ensure there is enough fluid to cover the peaches when freezing.