I fell in love with the Keg’s french onion soup many years ago. I happened to try this recipe that was in my Mom’s ancient Good Housekeeping Cookbook. It was amazing!!! I managed to find the same book with a few touch ups (all the recipes were the same but additional information on spices and menu items) from one of those book distributors that drop off books in offices and takes order. I LOVE this cookbook. I just found the original version like my Mom’s in a thrift store the other day and was thinking. I should buy it and give it away to one of my followers….still debating this. Let me know if you are interested and I will see if I can still get my hands of the book. Some of the best soup recipes I’ve tried are in this book!!!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. It is so simple and easy to cook.
So here goes… French Onion Soup!
I replace swiss cheese with mozaralla in this recipe (I make this recipe so often I even know the page number – 130 – off by heart)
1/4 cup butter
3 large onions sliced (about 4 cups)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups of water
1/2 cup red cooking wine
2 – 10 1/2 ounce cans of beef broth (basically your standard sized can of broth works (284 ml)
1 long french loaf
1 small package of bari mozzarella
- In a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat, in hot butter, cook onions and sugar for 10 minutes
- Stir in flour until well blended with the onions and the pan juices
- Add water, wine and un-diluted beef broth, heat until boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 10 minutes
- Cut four 1 inch thick slices of bread from loaf.
- Ladle soup into 4 – 12 ounce oven safe bowls and place once slice of bread on the surface of soup in each bowl
- Lay a slice (2 – 3 mm thick) of mozzarella on top of the bread in each bowl
- Place bowls on a cookie sheet or bread pan and bake at 425 degrees in oven 10 minutes or until cheese melts (I do this in my toaster over…takes less energy and time)
2 thoughts on “Cook French Onion Soup that is as good as the Keg’s”
i can’t wait to try this! i love the keg soup, have it every time we go there!
Did you give it a try? This is one of my winter time favorites!