I tried this recipe recently and it was fantastic! I need to give kudos to http://www.grouprecipes.com/people/luisascatering for sharing!
- 3 very fresh albacore tuna fillets
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
- kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper
- canola oil for searing
Citrus-ginger Sauce :
- 2 tablespoons honey (or more to taste)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- a few drops of sesame oil
- juice of one orange
- juice of half a lemon
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons saké (or mirin)
- 2 thin slices of ginger
shaved cucumber, sliced avocado, frisee lettuce, thinly sliced green onions (I used red onion)
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce; set aside (the sliced ginger will infuse the sauce).
- On a shallow plate, pour the sesame seeds. Season the tuna with cracked black pepper and salt. Coat the tuna in the sesame seeds, pressing lightly so they stick to the tuna.
- Place a saute pan over high heat. Add the oil and sear the tuna on both sides, about 1 minute per side.
- In a bowl combine the cucumber, green onions and frisee. Toss with some of the citrus-ginger sauce.
- Slice the chilled tuna across the grain, faning it out into 3-4 pieces per plate. Place some of the dressed greens on 4 plates. Top with sliced tuna, garnish with avocado and drizzle with some more of the citrus-ginger sauce